Morgan O'Brien brought this to the ATD Fort Worth November meeting.
First Command Financial Planning
Sr. Instructional Designer
TRACKING CODE EX08
How will your role impact First Command?
Perform as Development Project Leader (DPL) for various strategic training initiatives as well as introductory & periodic training projects and courseware for Advisors, Field Support Personnel, and Home Office employees. This position develops, delivers, maintains, and ensures consistency and quality in training tools, manuals, and systems. This position also utilizes appropriate tools and software to develop and deliver training via OneNet, First Reference, First Command’s Learning Management System (LMS), and other delivery methods.
What will you be doing?
- Design, develop, deliver, and maintain multi-media course materials and training collateral.
- For own projects, select and use the training/instructional methods and procedures most appropriate for the situation and the target audience, and advise colleagues as appropriate.
- Research and resolve content ambiguities based on incomplete or inaccurate information or obsolescence by partnering with Subject Matter Experts (SMEs).
- Collaborate with content experts (SMEs) in the field and Home office to identify training requirements and to derive and edit content.
- Use design methodology and a variety of applications to develop, deliver, and maintain training materials and systems.
- Effectively communicate basic and advanced instructional design concepts and processes to the customer.
- Using instructional design experience and judgment, convert existing training materials into performance-based training tools/manuals.
- Serve as colleague reviewer and tester for content developed by colleagues.
- Utilize the appropriate tools and software to develop and deliver training via the Web or other delivery methods.
- Work in partnership with customers to identify and accomplish necessary changes to existing training tools/manuals.
- Periodically review components of the entire training library of modules and resources to ensure consistency and quality in training tools, manuals, and systems.
- Input new records and changes to existing records in the maintenance database.
- As needed, assist with provisioning and basic technical support of First Command’s Learning Management System.
- Assist with the conversion of videos and other tasks as needed to support home office classes.
What skills/qualifications do you need?
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience using an instructional design methodology. (REQ.)
- Completion of advanced training in instructional design and/or e-learning. (PREF.)
- Experience using Storyline, Captivate and video development software a plus.
- Experience with Cornerstone Learning a plus.
- Training/Certification in Criterion Referenced Instruction (CRI) or a comparable instructional design methodology preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Advanced computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office applications. (REQ.)
- Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum and training design. (REQ.)
- Excellent analytical ability, attention to detail, and proven ability to work independently and in teams. (REQ.)
- Excellent verbal communication skills, to include active listening skills. (REQ.)
- Excellent written communication skills, to include superior editing skills and the ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand. (REQ.)
- Adaptability to shifting priorities in a dynamic environment of limited resources and ever-changing needs and missions. (REQ.)
- Proficiency in e-Learning authoring tool, Learning Management system, and other tools used in creation and maintenance of training resources. (REQ.)
The information of this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job, which may vary on the department or the assignment. The actual essential duties, responsibilities and qualifications may vary by department, reporting structure and other business needs. No inference should be drawn that a specific job duty, responsibility or qualification is non-essential by its absence from this description.
JOB LOCATION Fort Worth, Texas, United States
COMPANY LOCATION DESCRIPTION Headquarters
POSITION TYPE Full-Time/Regular